Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Of eunuch’s, Hijras, Drag queens and the undecided.


I disliked them myself when I was younger. Well, maybe dislike is a strong word – I did not like the thought of being associated and clubbed along with Hijra’s and eunuch’s at all. And the quesiness I felt whenever everyone I told about myself automatically assumed that I liked dressing up like a girl or something. Even when I came out to my mother, who knew nothing about being gay at the time (I think she still knows too little), she questioned me about it – “I know of only men and women Saumi, and then there are Hijra’s. What do you want me to think of you.”

And then I read something in a story once (searching and jerking off to smut and literary erotica online) which put things into real perspective for me. If I being the non-effiminate, cross-dressing fag that I am (let’s not forget cocksucking buttfucking) cannot accept people like who are different from me, then how can people who are straight accept me?

I was 16 when I read that. It came down pretty harsh on me. I realized I was subjecting the effeminate guys to the same thing straight people were subjecting me to. In fact, I was worse than straight people – and here we come back to my hypocritical nature once again!

Anyways. Things were put on an acid test when I came across Rich in Greece. (rich is gonna love the fact that I am talking about him). Rich is EVERY gay stereotype in the non-Indian world. He wears tophats, coats and tails when it’s boiling hot weather in Greece, he uses words like fabulous and divine, and is flambouyant and as camp as we come. And he’s DARNED proud of it. He also loves talking with an ENGLISH accent and pretending he’s British and hates his American roots. (he’s gonna kill me if he reads this bit). But most of all, he doesn’t change for anyone – he’s always CONSISTENT – something I always aim to be.

Hanging around with Rich for a very small period I learnt a great deal from him (more than I’ll ever admit to him :D). And there was one thing I distinctly remember him saying.

“Darling, I’m every stereotype in the book – and me being all over the place and over the top makes it easier for guys like you to survive and be accepted out there.”

“So you’re A vigilante of sorts?” I asked him.

“Of course!” he shot back.

And though it would not have sunk in then, it has now. Even deep down, rich believed in what he said and did what he did for exactly that reason. That and the fact that he simply loved clothes and heels and glitter and glamour and being who he was.

Kudos to Rich – for his sense of integrity and for being the bravest man I have met till date.



So anyways. Back to the topic – I know eunuchs or Hijra’s in India can cross many of our personal boundaries, and harassment seems like the beginning and people might say that many of them are using it more as an extortionist profession on local trains and buses, but guy’s learn to accept things that are different from you, else don’t accept someone else to accept you.

Intolerance is ignorance I say – so do know things a little before judging, and before being a hypocritical asshole like I am. Here are some resources on India’s Hijras.

http://www.thingsasian.com/stories-photos/2022

http://www.countercurrents.org/gen-narrain141003.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment